Monday, March 2, 2009

Children's books for science

I love to read aloud. I've been told, I am good at it. I also like to use books as an opener for my lessons. I've used The Hot Zone by Richard Preston to introduce a unit on viruses and how they attack. The detailed description of the characters guts liquifying and spilling onto the floor really gets high school-aged kids attention. I also have used The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman as an introduction to the theory of parallel worlds considered to be a part of quantum mechanics idealized by Hugh Everett in 1957. The idea is a basis for many science fiction stories.
My purpose for this post is find some children's books with scientific content to use as an opener (or closure). They do not have to be chapter books. Any grade level or genre would suffice as long as it had to do with the sciences. If you know of some, please post the titles and/or authors here!

1 comment:

  1. I love it and agree, but the hard part is finding appropriate material. I wish I could make some good recommendations, but I'm drawing a blank. I think I remember one of our professors telling us about a website with ideas. Let's ask this week!

    ReplyDelete